For those of you who have not heard, Abe and I are moving to Provo, Utah this coming August! I am the proud wife of the only student to be accepted to masters choral conducting program at BYU. Abe was given a great scholarship and assistantship (look for him at the Men's Ensemble concerts!). I'm hoping for a Hall Adviser job with BYU's residence life department, but no word on that front yet.
Meanwhile, Abe is finishing up a fabulous semester as student teacher. There are things about teaching in public school that frustrate him (the government) and things that excite his teacherly sensibilities (actually teaching children). His last few days next week will probably be bittersweet, though he'd never come close to admitting it.
As for me, I have one more day of classes left, one presentation, one final, lots of check-outs for residents, and A LOT of packing. So far, Abe and I have sold our fridge, our TV, our beautiful mattresses (sigh), and have given away two chairs and a DVD player. So it goes when you'd rather not rent a $2,000 U-hal for only a few furniture items. (If anyone's interested in a green sofa and a table, let us know!)
It is strange to think that we will be alumni in a few short weeks. I thought I would be horribly distraught to leave Potsdam. I thought it would be even worse since I won't be in graduate school right away; honestly, I don't know how I'll survive not being a student when September comes. However, I'm pleasantly surprised to find that I'm not running around like an overly emotional chicken with its head cut off. Though I'm already feeling nostalgic, helped of course by the recently gorgeous weather, it feels very close to relief to know that I'm almost done. I feel ready to move on, though I might feel differently after a few months go by and I don't have to write a paper.
Of course, even after undergraduate commencement I'm not actually finished; I, thankfully, have an hour recital the evening after graduation. So, that morning Abe and I will be moving out of our dorm room and that night I'll be singing my heart out! Sounds like the life, if you ask me.
No comments:
Post a Comment