Life updates! First and foremost, we are doing incredibly well. Unbelievably well. For my birthday a few weeks ago, I had to work, but it was so much fun, it was hardly like "work" at all. Still, I made sure I celebrated for real that Saturday; I got a manipedi in the morning, went hiking in the afternoon, went out to Red Lobster that evening, and saw The Lego Movie (which was a pretty great movie, except for that song that got stuck in my head for the rest of the week) that night. All were wonderful events.
Speaking of movies, Abe and I rented Frozen and were able to watch it this past weekend. I may be the only person in the world who says this, but it's not my favourite Disney movie. There were some good one-liners and the tunes are catchy, but the story line and lyrics to the song didn't always match up, which I dislike. HOWEVER, since seeing it, I don't mind "Let it Go" that much anymore. That song actually makes a lot of sense within the context of the movie, but makes a horribly cliche song out of context. My musical rant- over.
Speaking of music, have I mentioned lately how much I still love music? I'm not currently performing (though I'm seriously thinking about getting my master's in performance), but Rhys and I get to have mini music lessons every day. For example, yesterday! I was holding Rhys whilst vacuuming (he's unreasonably scared of it because I may have tried to show him how fun the hose was) and he was whimpering away at it, when I realized his whines almost matched the pitch of the vacuum's whir. I'm pretty sure it was a coincidence, but I decided it would be a fun teaching moment anyways, and I matched the pitch of the vacuum. It was amazing to see him stop and stare and try to figure out what I just did.
Speaking of Rhys, he is beautiful. He's been walking consistently for about a week and a half now. He's getting to the point where he walks more than he crawls. He also teaches me about a lot of things, such as the importance of a tidy house. I chopped some garlic yesterday and some must have gotten on the kitchen floor because he ate some and smelled strongly of garlic. And yet, he loved it! The child won't eat most foods we give him and yet garlic is a clear winner. He absolutely would not spit it out for me. He is also teaching me that I need to develop patience.
Speaking of patience, I have been meditating lately, and it is great (when I remember to do it). At BYU they have health challenges for the employees, so I've been doing them since the start of the year. The current challenge is focused on maintaining stress, so I've been meditating. It's something that I've always wanted to do, but could never justify taking the time to do it. I know, I know, it doesn't really need justification, but I always felt I had something better to do. At first, I felt really silly, especially if I meditated along to a recording. Now, however, I can tell that it helps me to better focus my mind and to work on the aforementioned patience. Half of my frustrations come from feeling like I need to being working on the next thing and not being able to do so; I'm typically thinking about what other things I need to be doing. Let me tell you, it's a stressful way to live! This has helped me so much, just reminding myself to think of one thing at a time. I haven't actually been able to think of one thing at a time yet, but I'm sure I'll get there soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment